Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Caffeinated List

"Who needs luck when you have coffee?"-Mordecai, Regular Show 

If you know me, ever seen me, or have ever visited my twitter page, you will learn something very quickly: I am a coffee person. To say I like it is an understatement. To say that I am addicted would be harsh...yet on the right track. "Addicted?", I might respond. "More like connoisseur." 

The other day as I was prepping my usual morning beverage of choice (Black eye with Hazelnut flavor shot), someone walked by my open dorm room door and said "man, you people and your coffee, Mumford, and black rims." Granted, I do enjoy coffee and Mumford & Sons, but "you people"? This led me to begin thinking: what stereotypes are there about "you people": aka coffee people. The more I began to ask around and look at it, it became pretty apparent that there are some ridiculous (yet extremely humorous) views of coffee people. I've narrowed it down to 6 things, 6 for the letters in coffee, and compiled it into today's list. 

So here it is: 6 things you think about coffee people 

1) "You guys gotta have all sorts of stuff in it and slap a fancy name on it!"  
    
Here's the thing that may blow your mind, oh non coffee person: not everyone has to have a caffe macchiato, skinny, hold the foam but keep the froth to be happy. Although these are some pretty fun to spell drinks, it isn't essential for happiness. Granted, the names can get kind of long and ridiculous, but it simply describes the beverage. 
For example, if you want watered down coffee (which is my normal order), get a Cafe Americano. Why is it called that? Because it is just black coffee, which as we all know is the best coffee. 'Mericuh. Cafe 'Mericuh. 

2) "You'll only drink it if it is as black as midnight"

Why? Because creamer is for quitters. 

3) "You like coffee: therefore I will buy you coffee supplies for every single holiday...ever" 

While some may say that coffee is a lifestyle, some people are wrong. It is delicious, appropriate for any situation, and helps get you out of bed in the morning, but it isn't everything, believe it or not. 

...that's not to say we won't take free coffee, though. That'd be crazy. 

4) "Why don't you just get it from a coffee place like Panera or Tim Hortons?" 

There is a difference between a "coffee place" and a "place that serves coffee". In the town I live in right now, there are 3 places that are considered "coffee places" to most: Panera Bread, Tim Hortons, and Dunkin' Donuts. 2 of the 3 are bread associated places, and the third is a Canadian excuse for mud-water. 

A "coffee place is a place that sells coffee, and that's what they do. Starbucks is a definite yes, but some of the best coffee places are the small, hole in the wall places. These have awesome personality, great coffee, and no Tim Hortons. 

I may seem very harsh on Timmy Ho's, but I just don't see how it is possible to drink it. Said one Canadian friend of mine on Tim Hortons, "There's only 1 reason why we still drink it: we're too nice to say no". 

5) "You're hipster....right?" 

Coffee love makes me as much hipster as you would be made a car while sitting in a garage or as much as drinking Coke makes you a Nascar loving Rebel rousing SEC football loving Redneck. 

6) "Why can't you just drink regular coffee like the rest of us?" 

It's all a matter of taste. When you love something, sometimes you can no longer settle for cheap but rather for what you genuinely enjoy. If you love cooking and the art of cooking, you won't settle for Mickey D's or even Applebees much. The same goes for people who enjoy coffee. 

What are your thoughts? What questions or opinions of coffee lovers do you have that are included in this list of 6? Comment below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment