Friday, January 30, 2015

Pondering Life Moments: Bear Hugs

A new weekly segment on the blog will be "Pondering Life Moments with Raymond." This will be a time for me to talk about something that is common in life or our culture and ponder it with you, the reader. They're crazy. They're silly. But then again, isn't life that way?

So this past summer, I was a camp pastor for a week of camp for 5th-6th graders. As I was leisurely sauntering across the sun-filled scenery towards the restroom, a youngster sprinted in such a speedy manner in my direction, arms wide open, shouting for all to hear "BEAR HUG". This triggered an image in my mind of a grizzly "hugging" it's prey before devouring it.

It is safe to say that I no longer needed to use the sanitary and squeaky clean facilities.

The young lad apologized upon seeing my accident, saying that he didn't mean anything by it. It got me thinking, though: why do we call them bear hugs if they are to be a comfort or display of affection. Have you ever hugged a bear before? I doubt it. If you have, you wouldn't be reading this blog right now, you'd be too busy talking to Jesus and asking Him all the questions you want to ask Him once you get to Heaven (because you'll be there).

Unless they read this blog in Heaven. If that's true, I'd get more than 24 views per post.

Anyway....yes. Back to bear hugs.

When did you last feel the need to show someone you cared about them, and promptly channel your inner wild sabertooth tiger and bite their face off? The only culture in which that's acceptable is in the household of Hannibal Lecter.

Here's what I propose: why not rename this grandest of hugs to reflect the comfort and love it gives? Why not, instead of striking fear with the term "bear hug" we call them "bed hugs"? My bed is warm, always welcomes me, and is sad whenever I leave it in the morning (at least, that's what I tell myself when I call my house just so I can leave a message on the machine to reassure my mattress that I will indeed return to it soon).

Remember: bear hugs don't comfort, they kill. Lets bring about a new era of love and acceptance...and bed hugs.

-Raymond Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment