Friday, February 13, 2015

The Far Too Long List of 2015 Films and Opinions On Them You Don't Care About

Personally, I hate most anticipated lists. There are a few reasons for this, I believe. One of those reasons being that since I am an Ohio sports' fan, I am conditioned to anticipate nothing so that I cannot be let down by my teams. (I was convincing my family that even with 5 seconds left in the National Championship against Oregon that tOSU could still manage to blow it). No anticipation means no let downs, right? 

Well, maybe, but for a pessimist I can be pretty optimistic. And being movie geek/film junkie, I cannot help but look forward to a few movies. So if you care to humor me, wonder where you may find me if I'm not in my apartment, here's a few that I'm looking forward to this upcoming year. Instead of providing a full recap of what the movie is supposed to be, I'll link the trailer so you can experience this for yourself. I will then tell you why I'm kind of excited about these.  

And. Here. We. Go! Joker gif Imgur

The Hipster Category (Ones You Didn't Know Were Coming)

Chappie (March 6) 

Trailer Here

Why am I excited? 
Look, I am not really a big "Sci-Fi" guy, but I loved District 9. It was innovative, crazy, creepy, and exciting. After seeing the first trailer for this movie, I found myself laughing and loving this little robot. He's like the adorable little innocent puppy at your friend's house that's discovering the world for the first time and you cannot help but offer to pet or feed him...in this case you may feed him diesel fuel or WD-40. 

Plus Hugh Jackman has a mullet. That alone is enough to peak my interest. 

True Story (April 10)

Trailer Still Here

Why am I excited? 
Imagine this: Jonah Hill stars as a bumbling reporter just recently fired for potentially fabricating a story. He gets a random call from an inmate played by James Franco, and the unlikely pair of con/reporter work together to see something bigger than themselves! Sounds like the next big comedy?  

Try the independent crime thriller of Sundance. This movie premiered to mostly positive reviews at the hub of indie film this year, and I'm excited about this. Jonah Hill showed in Moneyball that he can play the serious roles, plus James Franco is a stellar actor himself. Add in Felicity Jones fresh off an Academy nominated performance, an actually riveting story, and this could be one of the better films of the year! 

Southpaw (July 31)

There's no trailer yet, but here's a unique look from the set

Why am I excited? 
There is a lot of buzz around this film, and rightly so. The movie stars one of the hottest talents in the industry (Jake Gyllenhaal), some amazing talent in the supporting roles (Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker), plus the director of The Equalizer, Shooter, Tears of the Sun (one of the most underrated war movies IMO) AND Training Day is the one directing this movie. I loved Rocky, and I trust this crew to help make another boxing classic.  

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (August 14)

Motion Picture and Sound here!

Why am I excited?
Quick! Name the other guy considered for the 007 role before Daniel Craig! If you guessed "Henry Cavill", you'd be correct! This is a remake of the 1964-67 spy series that lets us see what would happen if Cavill would have gotten that Bond role instead of Sean Connery, It's classy. It's lighthearted. It has my money. 
Also, fun fact: his co-star Armie Hammer was considered for the role of Batman. This is essentially an old-school Batman v Superman. Yay. 

The Stuff Of Legends (Or, What We've All Known About)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1)
Trailer here

Sorry, I got confused. Here it really is.

Why am I excited? 
Explosions. Action. Slow-motion. Protein. As a guy, how couldn't I be excited? I know Michael Bay would agree!  
(plus, it helps us get ready to see the even greater Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie next year.) 
Honestly, I'm excited about this because it seems like I'm supposed to be excited about it. Yay stuff! 

Jurassic World (Jun 12)
Prehistoric Video here

Why am I excited? 
Listen, if heroes and action are tough to resist, then what happens when you throw dinosaurs in the mix? Awesome stuff happens! I'm throwing this into guilty pleasure territory. It'll be fun. Who doesn't want to see Star Lord (Chris Pratt) play with pet velociraptors? Ok, maybe you don't. But you can't resist....

Minions (July 10)
Bapoy Traibapoy 

Why am I excited? 
Bu ta na ma ka tulaliloo ti amo. Bable hana buttom baboi gelatooooooooo. Bee do bee do bee do bi do kampai. Sae bananonina. 

Mockingjay Part 2 (November 25)

Why am I excited? 
Part one was cool and the rest of the series is fun as well. Fun...that's not how the last movie was, but that was one heck of a cliff hanger to leave on. I'm ready to finish this series with a bang! 

Star Wars: the Force Awakens (December 18)

I almost fought my sister because she was wanting to use the computer on Thanksgiving for something other than watching this trailer. The trailer is enough to get you excited. Vroom vroom. cheeekkk cheeeeek. Star Wars. 


Now, what's the most anticipated movie for me going into 2015? This may surprise a lot of you, but...what's that? You hear it? It's like piano from a distant memory. It's....it's.....

The Peanuts Movie (November 6) 
Here's a trailer, you blockhead!

I can hear my grandma calling my mom to see if I want another Peanuts gang figurine. NO GRANDMA! 

Sorry. My therapist said I should be able to work through this.

But why am I so excited for this movie?
In 5th grade, I did a research project on Charles M. Schultz. When I was 8 years old, I cried when I heard there would be no more Peanuts comic strips. I spent hours at Cedar Point in the Charlie Brown store. God, baseball, applesauce, and Peanuts: this was my childhood in a nut shell (badum tiss).

When the first trailer dropped, I was more excited than a bald elementary student kicking a football for the first time. More excited than a beagle shooting down the red baron. More excited than a yellow bird meep meep meeping on a warm summer day. 

What's exciting to me is that this movie feels so much like the old cartoons, yet it is an inovative film by the type of animation used. It feels fresh yet familiar. This...this is what a reboot should feel like.

I'm very excited about this year in cinema, mainly because it will involve countless movies not on this list (Furious 7, Fant4stic to name a couple). What are you excited about? Comment below and let me know! 

-Raymond Morris


No comments:

Post a Comment